Wednesday 7 November 2012

An Accountancy Shanty

How about a bit of light relief to kick off this chilly November with?

For the few who remember it and the many who've probably never heard of it, here is the Accountancy Shanty song from Rutland Weekend Television (RWT):



RWT was a television sketch show, written by Eric Idle (of Monty Python fame) with music by Neil Innes, which aired in the mid 1970s on BBC2.

Accountancy Shanty Lyrics


And for those who want to sing along, here are the words from the sketch:

Battley: Look, up in the trees! Accountants. The long day's accounts are done and they gather here in the Reigate Woods to sing accountancy shanties.

Accountant(s): 'Twas in my youth I ran away
To accountancy one day
With pen and paper collar and stud
Accountancy was in my blood
      I'll scribble away and balance the books and sing an accountancy shanty!
I chartered an accountant at the age of twenty-one
      I'll scribble away and balance the books and sing an accountancy shanty!
So raise a glass of medium-dry sherry
To the golden age of VAT
      I'll scribble away and balance the books and sing an accountancy shanty!

Battley: Ah, it's a rare sight for this part of Reigate...

No comments:

Post a Comment